It's Time to VOTE! Many talented supporters helped us beautify our supply of hand-crafted bird, squirrel, and owl houses for visitors and rescuers to use and admire for years to come - now we need YOUR vote to determine the winners of each division!
Voting ends Wednesday, August 18th at NOON!
Text BIRDHOUSE to 71777 to Vote, or
Grab your paints and paintbrushes - We're painting houses!
Many Girl Scouts, Eagle Scouts, and youth volunteers spent endless hours designing and building birdhouses and hide boxes for TWRC Wildlife Center. Now it's time to put them to use! Birdhouses are a great way to attract a variety of songbirds to your home. Help us beautify our supply of hand-crafted bird, squirrel, and owl houses for visitors and rescuers to use and admire for years to come!
Individual Child (5-11)
Individual Youth (12 - 17)
Individual Adult (18+)
Registration Fee $20
TWRC Wildlife Center provides a hand-crafted bird, squirrel, or owl box to prepare and paint with artistic freedom, following the rules and guidelines provided.
Keep the House $30
Any participants that wish to keep their painted house or box can pay an additional $10 purchase price at the time of registration, guaranteeing a hold on their house or box.
- The registration period is July 5th - July 24th.
- Houses are limited and will be granted on a first-come-first-serve basis during the fundraiser.
- All houses must be picked up during operating hours (daily between 10 am and 2 pm).
- Painting must be completed and houses returned to TWRC Wildlife Center before Saturday, August 7th, at 2 pm for the voting period.
- Judging/voting will take place from Monday, August 11th through Monday, August 18th at noon virtually (webpage will open Monday, August 11th at 6 am).
- Winners will be announced Monday, August 18th at 5 pm.
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please consider the following guidelines before painting your birdhouse:
- You will be responsible for supplying the art materials (paint, brushes, etc.)
- Only use non-toxic acrylic paint
- Do not deconstruct the house or box
- Do not paint the inside of the house
- Avoid painting near/around the entrance hole to the house/box
- Do not use metallic, fluorescent, or glow-in-the-dark colors
- Ensure the paints used are not so dark that it absorbs too much heat - try to incorporate a variety of dark and light colors
- While designing and painting, keep in mind that some bird species are attracted to certain colors and patterns, while other species may avoid those same colors or patterns
- The best way to ensure the paint adheres to the house or box is to first sand the surface with fine-grit sandpaper before painting
Post - Competition Recommendations:
- When hanging your new birdhouse, try to place the house at least 10 feet above ground level
- Install birdhouses at least 6 - 7 yards away from bird feeders, baths, and other high-traffic areas
Please join us in making our first ever Paint the House event a success! As we continue to care for the thousands of orphaned and injured wildlife every year, please know that your sponsorship is greatly appreciated!
For more information or to discuss sponsorship opportunities, please contact Samantha Norris @ [email protected].