CHECK OUT OUR LATEST VIDEO!
"Black-bellied Whistling Ducks: From Rescue to Release"
These orphaned ducklings were brought in to the TWRC Wildlife Center earlier this year. With the help of some very dedicated home rehabbers, they were cared for and successfully released in August. Ducklings are near and dear to our hearts at TWRC, so we wanted to share their growth story with everyone!
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks (Dendrocygna autumnalis) are one of the more commonly identified ducks in our region. You can find them near ponds and shallow freshwater lakes foraging, nesting, or just hanging out in their flock.
These gregarious animals can form lifelong breeding pairs, laying clutches of 9-18 eggs. After nearly a month of incubation, hatchlings begin to emerge, covered in black and yellow down feathers. Another 2-3 months pass before the young fledge from the nest.
Sign up for our TWRC Tidbits Newsletters!
Get the latest news and updates from TWRC Wildlife Center straight to your inbox.
OUR SPONSORS & DONORS
- Absolute Truth CBD
- Aethon Energy/Causecast Foundation
- Amazon Smile Program
- Arthur & Ellen Williford
- Board of Directors-TWRC
- Carleton Speed Family Foundation
- Collins Realty Group
- Dick & Jane Schmitt Charitable Fund
- Doerries Family Found./Fidelilty Charitable
- Dominion Energy
- Elite Care of League City
- Enchanted Gardens
- Enhanced Laser
- ExxonMobil Community Summer Jobs Program
- ExxonMobil Foundation
- Fidelity Charitable
- Harry S. & Isabel C. Cameron Foundation
- HCA Foundation
- Janice and Barrett Green Foundation
- Jerry & Nanette Finger Foundation
- P Twenty-One Foundation
- Paul and Victoria Lamb
- Penfeathers Tours
- Piney Woods Wildlife Organization
- Quigley Family Charitable Fund
- Rampuria Family Found/Fidelity Charitable
- Ray and June Smith Charitable Foundation
- Rescue Me Animal Charity Corp.
- Stephanie and Robin Harrison Family Fund
- Supermarket Share Programs
- Susan Kadow
- TC Energy
- Tim Hudnall-RBC Wealth Management
- Unity Church of Christianity
- West Houston Veterinary Medical Associates