Spots available: All spots have been taken. We will be accepting applications for Fall in June. Please check back June 1st!
Description: Interns will gain hands-on experience with small mammals and birds. Our interns work mainly with opossums, eastern grey squirrels, fox squirrels, and a large variety of songbirds. This position involves working with many volunteers on a daily basis. Training will include daily operations such as animal admissions, TWRC Hotline and center maintenance. Candidates for this position should be friendly, reliable, flexible, motivated, and capable of multi-tasking.
- Diet preparation and feeding for small mammals and birds
- Responsible for setting up caging, preparing diets, and providing basic husbandry for mammals and avian species in the Animal Care Program
- Husbandry tasks include cleaning, feeding, providing enrichment, administering medication, etc.
- Working closely with critical and compromised animals and providing limited medical care to them
- Working together with staff and volunteers to complete daily tasks
- Communicate closely with the Manager, Assistant Managers, and Shift Supervisors
- Willingness to learn and execute appropriate handling skills
- Working TWRC admission and collecting important information upon animal intake
- Answering hotline calls and providing help to caller
- Handling of a wide variety of animals while transferring into appropriate housing upon admission
- Applicants should be pursuing a degree in Biology, Zoology, Animal Science, or a closely related field