Job Title: Education Animal Coordinator
Since 1979, Houston Humane Society TWRC Wildlife Center has been committed to providing quality emergency care and rehabilitation for injured, ill, and orphaned wildlife brought to us by the public in the Houston area. TWRC’s mission is to promote environmental conservation through public education and rehabilitation of Texas wildlife. The Education Animal Coordinator supervises the Critter Care section of the Education Department and is responsible for the welfare, health, and safety of TWRC’s Animal Ambassadors. Animals in this department include (but are not limited to) - invertebrates, snakes, turtles, raptors, waterfowl, and opossums.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be familiar with the mission and history of the Houston Humane Society and TWRC Wildlife Center.
- Animal husbandry including but not limited to weekly diet procurement and preparation, feeding and weighing animals, cleaning and maintaining enclosures, and maintaining high health standards.
- Provide new and engaging animal enrichment and socialization activities and maintain weekly enrichment schedules.
- Regularly update all animal feeding, cleaning, and care documents and instruction materials.
- Thoroughly train all new Critter Care volunteers and interns and provide regular supervisory oversight.
- Manage Critter Care schedule.
- Effectively communicate with HHS TWRC staff members, interns, volunteers, and visitors.
- Maintain a safe and professional working environment for all.
- Attend scheduled Outreach events where Animal Ambassadors are present.
- Give education presentations and programs for a wide range of audiences as needed.
- General cleaning duties including dishes, laundry, bathrooms, trash, sweeping, and mopping.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the Wildlife Education Manager.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must have your own reliable transportation.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent workplace experience.
- Keeper, animal husbandry, and animal training experience.
- Leadership skills.
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people, personalities, and learning styles.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Ability to work efficiently and productively in an unstructured environment with frequent interruptions.
- Well-organized and able to effectively manage multiple tasks, projects, and responsibilities simultaneously.
- Capable of rigorous indoor and outdoor work.
- Comfortable preparing and working with various insects and carcasses.
- Work will often require: standing, bending, stooping, lifting (must be able to lift 30 lbs), climbing ladders, and reading small text.
Additional Skills and Qualifications:
- Proactive work ethic and problem-solving skills.
- Public speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a calm, respectful, and professional (yet assertive) demeanor when dealing with difficult situations.
- Previous experience working in an office setting (non-profit experience preferred).
- Proficiency in basic computer applications, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) and Google Drive.
- Full-time - must be available to work 40 hours per week.
- Weekend and holiday availability are required.
- Willingness to adjust hours to accommodate the needs of the job.
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Medical benefits after 90 days (health, dental, vision)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Paid Time Off (after 6 months) and Holiday Pay
- 403(b): matching up to 15% of compensation
- Pet care discounts up to $700 annually
- Employee Assistance Program
Changing Office Locations:
The HHS TWRC Wildlife Center will be changing locations to a new and improved building in late summer/early fall of 2023. The new location will be 3100 W. Fuqua Street, Houston, TX 77045. All employees must be willing to work at the current location and switch to the new location after the move.
Send resume, cover letter, and all other supporting documents to [email protected].