Job Title: Animal Care Program Supervisor
Hourly Rate: $10.00 per hour
Since 1979, TWRC Wildlife Center has been committed to providing quality emergency care and rehabilitation for injured, ill, and orphaned wildlife brought to us by the public. TWRC has several seasonal openings for Supervisors in our Animal Care Program (ACP). Animals in the program include, but are not limited to - squirrels, opossums, doves, and songbirds.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Animal husbandry includes feeding and weighing animals, cleaning enclosures, monitoring behavior, and providing enrichment activities.
- Learn and implement patient protocols by species.
- Medical work includes stabilizing patients, tube feeding, administering oral and subcutaneous fluids, medicating, bandaging, and record keeping.
- Make sure animal feeding schedules are adhered to.
- Assess animals for release criteria.
- General cleaning duties include dishes, laundry, bathrooms, sweeping, and mopping.
- Oversee the training and task assignments of volunteers and interns.
- Effectively communicate with TWRC staff members and volunteers.
- Maintain a safe and professional working environment.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- High school diploma/GED.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Responsible, trustworthy, and a motivated multitasker.
- Respectful and calm demeanor with a positive attitude.
- Must be able to work efficiently and calmly under stressful conditions.
- Ability to face urgent life or death situations almost daily including handling the emotional aspects of euthanasia.
- Must be able to perform basic mathematical computations including fractions and percentages.
- Work will often require: standing, bending, stooping, lifting (must be able to lift 30lbs), climbing ladders, and reading small text.
- Capable of rigorous indoor and outdoor work.
- Leadership and people skills to motivate volunteers to complete tasks.
- Comfortable preparing and working with insects and carcasses.
- Comfortable working with and around needles.
- Experience in this field is not required, but some animal-related experience is helpful. We are willing to train qualified and committed candidates.
- Have a degree in or be working towards a degree in biology, zoology, wildlife & fisheries, or related.
- Ability to administer subcutaneous injections.
- Knowledge of Office 365 and WRMD.
- The position is seasonal and typically lasts from February to October.
- Must be available to work 30-40 hours per week.
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule to accommodate an influx of animals during certain times of the year. Shifts may start as early as 4:45 am and end as late as 12 AM.
- Must complete all Supervisor training and attend any scheduled meetings.
- No number of hours per week is guaranteed.
TWRC Wildlife Center requires all staff and visitors to wear a surgical or N95 mask (no cloth masks) and prefers that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to protect the wildlife in our care and to help prevent future outbreaks. Our employees are highly specialized in the work they do and are irreplaceable should they become ill. If an employee is unable to receive a vaccination because of medical, personal, or religious beliefs, they may fill out an exemption form. Anyone unable to show proof of full vaccination status*, regardless of exemption, will need to provide proof of a negative Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Self-Test at Home Kit which must be purchased by the employee and performed in-person 15 minutes before the beginning of each shift.
*full vaccination status = 2 doses of Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or 1 dose of Johnson & Johnson vaccine as well as any boosters, if eligible.
Send additional documents including resumes and cover letters to [email protected]