In the early spring and early fall TWRC Wildlife Center receives hundreds of baby squirrels from rescuers. These squirrels will be fed and cared for in our onsite Baby Squirrel Program until they are old enough to transition to release back into the wild. We need help from caring volunteers with this huge endeavor.
All volunteers must register, pay a fee, and complete an Orientation and Feeding Training session before they can begin working squirrel feeder shifts. The Orientation is one hour long, where volunteers will learn about the program and what duties it will involve. The Feeding Training session will be two hours long and teach volunteers to properly hand-feed squirrels, as well as essential shift protocol.
Keep checking our webpage for dates and registration information!!!
Shifts run from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., and 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; 7 days a week. Duties as a squirrel feeder include feeding squirrels, cleaning cages, washing dishes, preparing food, weighing squirrels, laundry, and general room maintenance.
- Volunteer feeders must be at least 14 years of age.
- Volunteers 12 & 13 may volunteer as assistants but will not be allowed to feed. Each assistant must be accompanied by a guardian at least 18 years of age. (Only one assistant per guardian)
- Commit to work 5, 3-4 hour shifts, however, volunteers are encouraged to work as many as possible
- Pay a registration fee
New Baby Squirrel Program
- RSVP online for a Baby Squirrel Orientation.
- New Volunteers must also register online and pay a $25 fee. The fee includes a program t-shirt, a name tag, and training provided by qualified and experienced staff. All volunteers must wear a program t-shirt when working shifts.
- We encourage new volunteers to pay the $25 registration fee online to prevent waiting in long lines to pay after Orientation. If you choose not to participate after attending Orientation, we are happy to quickly refund your registration fee upon request.
- If you prefer not to pay online, we will gladly accept your payment by cash, check or credit card after Orientation.
- Within 48-hours of Orientation, you will receive an invitation by email to sign-up for a feeding training class through SignUp.com.
- After completing the Feeding Training class, you will receive a second email with a link to sign up for shifts on SignUp.com.
Volunteers Returning From the 2016 Baby Squirrel Program
- Returning Volunteers will not be required to attend another BSP Orientation.
- Register and pay a $25 fee online using the link below. Ask for your program t-shirt when you work your first shift. All volunteers must wear a program t-shirt when working shifts.
- Within 48-hours of receiving your registration and fee payment, you will receive an invitation by email to sign-up for feeder shifts on SignUp.com.